Below is a list of sites that I would think would be useful to the Linux newbie, put into two categories: Day to day Linux Sites, the sort of sites you may find yourself going back to tens or hundreds of times, and Linux Distribution Providers, this is a list of the 10 most well known Linux Distribution Providers, there are many more, but this will help you out, most (if not all) of the listed providers will allow you to download their distributions straight from their web site or ftp server. Have fun!
Day to day / Newbie Suitable Linux Sites:
- LinuxQuestions.org If you have a Linux Question, and it isn't answered here, this is the next place to go!
- TuxFiles.org A Great site providing no nonsense tutorials, quick tips for new and longterm Linux users alike!.
- linux.org A popular home for Linux people
- ubuntuguide.org A great simple guide for Ubuntu users
- linuxdoc.org The Linux Documentation Project - Need Linux help? Get it here!
- Broadband Expert guide on Linux - neat directory of lots of Linux FAQs and howtos (Thanks to Carley & Doug!).
- freshmeat.net Freshmeat: The place to find new/existing Linux software
- linuxnews.com LinuxNews: The site devoted to supplying you with 100% Linux News
- apache.org The webserver that comes with most Linux distros, Apache
- samba.org Want to share your files on a Windows Network - Use Samba!
- gnu.org The GNU Project provide the licensing system (GPL) for Linux, brought to us by the Free Software Foundation.
- rpmfind.net A place to find and download thousands of RPM packaged Applications for Linux
- vmware.com VmWare: Run a real Windows / NT / 2000 / OS2 / UNIX box *inside* Linux!
- UNIXhelp - The UNIX Guide. The original solution to learning UNIX commands
- HowToForge Up to date step-by-step solutions for doing the sort of stuff you really want to know how to do.
- brunolinux.com A great range of quick, no-nonsense tips and tutorials for all Linux users.
Linux Distribution Providers:
- ubuntu.com - Ubuntu Linux
- redhat.com - Red Hat
- fedora.redhat.com - Fedora Core: Red Hat's Free Linux distribution
- suse.com - SuSE OpenLinux (now owned by Novell)
- mandriva.com - Mandriva (ex. Mandrake/Connectiva)
- slackware.com - Slackware Linux. An old school Linux distro.
- debian.org - Debian Linux
- pendrivelinux.com - Pen drive Linux. A howto site to make a Linux distro go on a USB 'pen drive'
Apparently, there are over 180 Linux distributions out there, to see a full list, why not check out the Linux Distribution List, at www.distrowatch.com
Slightly More Advanced Topics:
- pixelbeat.org - Nice quick cheat sheet for command line instructions
Friends of The Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide
- hostingscotland.co.uk They host this site! - They are the friendliest, most supportive based web/domain host and their prices are great!
- geocities.com/linuxsource - Paul Sumption's great newbie site
- www.edlug.ed.ac.uk - The Edinburgh Linux Users Group
- ScotLUG - The Scottish Linux Users Group, based in Glasgow
If you have a Linux Users Group that you would like us to feature, please let us know!